Purina® Ultium® Growth Horse Formula was conceptualized after the Purina new product development team completed their successful launch of the original Ultium® Competition Horse Formula. The Ph.D. nutritionists at the Purina Equine Research Unit in Gray Summit, Missouri knew the advantages of feeding meticulously formulated, higher fat and fiber feeds to competitive athletes. But could the same principles be applied for young growing horses. Since then, research spanning over four years was performed to develop a new feed formulated specifically for young growing athletes. Purina performed detailed scientific feeding trials on broodmares and young horses from multiple foal crops at varying ages, breeds and management situations. The research involved monitoring and measuring growth curves, body condition, joint health, activity levels, blood work and more to ensure optimal nutrient delivery to broodmares and growing horses. The result was unique, industry-leading nutrition proven to support the development, growth and adaptive physiology necessary to produce a strong, healthy athletic horse. It’s another offering of advanced nutrition worthy of the Purina name. Purina® Ultium® Growth Horse Formula. It’s What It Takes®.
Needs of Broodmares & Growing Horrsesmare in Foal
Ultium® Growth Horse Formula contains a concentrated calorie delivery system that supports the mare through all stages of gestation, with more total calories from added fat and fiber and lower sugar and starch. Lower feeding rates help support digestive health during this essential time. Your foal’s best start begins with proper fetal development. Ultium® Growth Horse Formula provides research-determined amounts of nutrients, including copper and zinc for developing fetal liver stores to set the foundation for correct growth.
Suckling foals may nurse up to 80 times per day. Ultium® Growth Horse Formula provides additional milk components to support immune function, calorie, and nutrient transfers to active, growing foals. Lactating mares can require over 35,000 kcal/day to produce adequate milk and maintain body condition. The concentrated calorie delivery system of Ultium® Growth Horse Formula provides the necessary calories during this critical period for both mare and foal sustenance.
Ultium® Growth Horse Formula helps support strong bone development by using high-quality nutrient sources. Amino acids, vitamins and minerals are supplied in optimal amounts and ratios as determined by research studies to provide the necessary building blocks for bone growth.Young growing horses need carefully-balanced nutrition for optimal muscle development to grow into successful athletes. The protein quality and amino acid fortification of Ultium® Growth Horse Formula supports in the foundation, maturation and maintenance of healthy muscle.
Features & Benefits
- Sustained Energy System® A unique blend of three fuel sources to provide a steady level of highly digestible energy for developing and growing foals: soluble carbohydrates, fats and fermentable fiber
- Targeted Nutrition Delivery System Transports repair nutrients where they’re needed most. The balance of nutrients supports proper joint and long bone maturity to set the stage for the young athlete to start off right and continue on the correct path to competition.
- Backed by Over Four Years of Research Including measuring growth curves, body condition, joint health, activity levels and blood work in young, growing horses
- Purina® Amplify® High Fat Nugget A proprietary blend of vegetable oils, flax seed and rice bran helps promote balanced immunity, smooth growth rates and shiny coats
- Optimized Amino Acid Profile Includes essential amino acids Lysine, Threonine and Methionine and branched chain amino acids to support muscle development and growth
- Highly Digestible Fibers Including beet pulp and soy hulls provide fermentable fiber to the hindgut for a slow release calorie source that helps support weight maintenance and consistent lactation in broodmares and steady growth in young, growing horses.
- Added Vitamins and Minerals Including Copper, Zinc, Calcium and Phosphorus in essential ratios and quantities to help assure proper fetal stores during gestation, milk levels during lactation and tissue concentrations for continued growth
- Added Antioxidants Including Vitamins E and Selenium help support cellular metabolism and a strong immune system
- Controlled Sugar and Starch With higher levels of fat and digestible fiber may help reduce the risk of hindgut disturbances associated with high starch feeding practices
- Nutrient Dense Blend With Pellets and Purina® Amplify® High Fat Nuggets is highly palatable and highly digestible for young horses and broodmares
- Concentrate Feed Designed to be fed with hay or pasture